The month of May will soon be upon us and with the beginning of May comes one of the year’s most thrilling sporting events, the Kentucky Derby. Held annually in Louisville, Kentucky, this one day event that draws in a crowd of over 150,000 people is well suited for sports fans, gamblers and fashionistas from around the globe.
Top Things to Remember for the Kentucky Derby
- Bring cash, the more the better. There will be ATM’s on site but to be safe and save time prepare accordingly.
- Make a bet, after all that is part of the fun isn’t it? *Tip – do so early so you don’t miss the big race because you were standing in line.
- Enjoy the comforts of southern living. Sip on a Mint Julep or the finest Kentucky bourbon.
- Don’t miss the main event!
What to Wear
The Kentucky Derby has become just as popular for fashion as it has for the actual main event. Big hats, pastels and dapper-dressed couples can be found sipping on cocktails and basking in the sun at the year’s most exciting sporting event. The key to dressing at the Kentucky Derby is the weather. This event is held in an outdoor arena and that can mean everything from sunshine and high temperatures to cold and muddy days.
Play up your spring fashion sense with a stunning centerpiece, your hat of course. The Kentucky Derby is known for big hats, the crazier the better. Men match your lady with a well-tailored suit and matching tie. Keep in mind that there are restrictions on bags within the grounds, so keep the extra handheld items to a minimum to prevent any issues.
Item’s not permitted at the Kentucky Derby
- Purses larger than 12 inches in any dimension
- Cameras with detachable lenses, camcorders and laptops
- Cans, glass bottles or containers
Traveling to the Derby
Private jet charter flights to the Louisville International Airport (SDF) will be in high demand leading up to the event. Due to the nature of this event it is important to prepare your travel plans in advance and note that there may be additional fees involved in your travel itinerary. Ground transportation can be scarce during the event but the Kentucky Derby offers continuous shuttle services to assist patrons to and from designated parking areas.
Important Times for your schedule
- Gates open at 8:00am Eastern
- Kentucky Derby at 6:34pm
- 8:05pm last race